Evolutionary Yoga 300 hour Foundation Yoga Teacher Training Certification Course
Peter & Sue are accredited trainers & our yin yoga teacher training course & 300 hour foundation courses are fully accredited by Yoga Alliance Professionals UK
Evolutionary Yoga 300 hour Foundation Yoga Teacher Certification Course is a professional, authentic, comprehensive, innovatory, well-organized and highly effective training program. Moreover, it is a profoundly healing, transformational and life-affirming journey.
What makes our Yoga Teachers Training Program exceptional is the level of experience, broad ranging knowledge, heart centered approach and talented teaching ability of SYT’s Susan Billington & Peter Askew, who are seasoned master teachers who have dedicated their lives to service- empowering & elevating the consciousness of many people from around the globe at their safe healing sanctuary nestled in the mountains.
Sue & Peter lead these outstanding EY Yoga Teacher Certification Courses at Yoga Evolution Retreats their own retreat centre and home in central Portugal. The centre has been thoughtfully& lovingly designed to create the perfect venue to support their trainings. It is homely yet otherworldly, comfortable yet close to nature, it is a genuine community yet fosters the spirit of independence & has a vibration that is at once magical yet down to Earth. The vegetarian food they provide is wholesome, nourishing & cooked with Love, the views & landscapes around the centre are simply stunning & the Practice space & other buildings lend themselves perfectly to an environment that is both nurturing & stimulating - creating the perfect learning environment.
The Yoga Teacher Training is unique in that it is run in such a way as to maximize the immersive & therapeutic benefits of intensive retreat yet at the same time the deep enduring benefits of a course that is integrated & embodied over a longer period of time, thus creating Teachers who are well seasoned, confident, mature & fully competent - Teachers who have really done the work .
Expect to leave the yoga teacher training fully ready to teach and brimming with inspiration and enthusiasm for your new career& Light Worker mission knowing that you will always be supported & will always have a Yoga Home to return to. At the end of the Yoga Teacher Training not only will you be qualified to teach creative & safe Vinyasa Yoga sequence classes to groups & individuals, you will also be able to competently hold space and bring about healing to your students on many levels.
Throughout the course, you will also learn how to develop and deepen your own practice, and have all the support & advice you need. Sue & Peter deliberately keep the trainings small capping them off at a maximum of 16 students & they personally take responsibility for individually mentoring each of the students.
Evolutionary Vinyasa Yoga is a transformative, creative and intelligent flow style, with an emphasis on alignment, sequencing, form and safety. It can be easily adapted to different levels & on a physically level places equal value on creating strength, endurance & flexibility. It combines balancing & vitalising Pranayama techniques, long thorough Qigong based warm-ups, creative standing flow sequences, inversions, arm-balances, seated sequences, guided savasanas and inspiring sound & scent scapes. The atmosphere created in the classes is deeply meditative, nourishing and peaceful. The classes you will learn to disseminate can be general, including a little of all the different categories of poses or they may be thematic with a deeper focus on one specific area of the body. The classes intelligently integratetried & tested elements of different styles of Yoga that foundersSue & Peter have studied including Iyengar, Ashtanga Vinyasa, Dynamic, Yin, Hatha Yogasana, Venkatesh, Insight, Sivanander and Kundalini Yoga. As life long students of shamanism, astrology, homeopathy, 5 element theory & practitioners of innumerable different Qigong forms Sue & Peter weave these powerful practices & deep understanding to create a fascinating & immensely powerful contemporary style of Yoga that could not be more relevant to the times we are living in.
Our Course Fees include all your food, accommodation, transport to & from our local town Oleiros & your final teaching assessment
Consistent with our commitment to sharing knowledge and making yoga accessible to all we keep tuition fees as low as possible and offer one part-funded bursary (50% of the course price) per course to a dedicated yoga student with a demonstrated financial need and active involvement in a community that could benefit from yoga.
The total course fees are 3,895Euros (if settled in full before the start date) or 3,995 Euros payable by 1000Euros deposit and 10 installments of 295 Euros over the duration of the course. For further information about course fees, please see our Terms & Cconditions.
You will also be required to pay for a First Aid course, if you do not already have a First Aid certificate. In addition you will need to pay for liability insurance before you begin teaching which will be provided by our accreditors Yoga Alliance Professionals. For further information see terms & conditions.
1.0 TITLE PAGE
Name of course: 300 hour Evolutionary Yoga Foundation Teacher Training Certification Course recognised by the Yoga Alliance
Year: 2021 - 2022
Number of Modules: 3
Location: Yoga Evolution Retreat Centre, Bacelo, Amieira, Oleiros, Castelo Branco, Portugal, 6160-052
Meeting Times: The course is residential. You will arrive for each Module on the Saturday ready to start on the Sunday. Each day will start at 7am & finish at 9pm with breaks throughout the day
Principle SYT’s: Susan Billington Peter Askew
This Yoga Teacher Training focuses on the foundations of Hatha, Vinyasa Flow & Daoist Yoga Practice’s in the areas listed below. Students are required to develop their own yoga practice in the key areas during the training & will learn how to implement yoga practice in their daily lives’. Further to this, it is essential for all students who wish to go on to Teach to consolidate their learning & develop by teaching Yoga in practice sessions throughout the training. The students will be confidently & competently qualified to teach yoga to group classes as well as clients in 1-2-1 settings.
The Course will include the following Key Areas of study-
- Joint releasing sequences -Pawan Muktasana & Purging & cleansing Qigong
- Asana - Principles, Vinyasa Krama _ step by step progression&Creative Asana
- Cleansing Techniques
- Chakras & Dantians
- Nadis & Meridians
- Applied anatomy in MyoFascial trains & Skeletal structure . Physical, energetic & subtle esoteric anatomy
- Physiology as applicable to Yoga Practice from the Eastern & Western Perspectives
- History of Yoga & Shamanism
- comparative Philosophy Of Yoga, Taoism & Contemporary Shamanism
- Hatha Vinyasa yoga Technique, teaching skills & Methodology, training & practice
- Psychology of Yoga
- Teaching & Lifestyle Ethics
- Evolutionary Astrology
- class sequencing
- introduction to Restorative Yoga, Yoga Nidra, Yin Yoga & Meditation
- Business of Yoga
1.2 COURSE OBJECTIVES
By the end of this course trainees will have developed practical knowledge & understanding of the key areas listed. Further to this they will have consolidated their learning by putting into practice as outlined:
ELIMENTARY JOINT FREEING PRACTICES
- Students will have a thorough working knowledge of joint freeing sequences based on Pawanmuktasana of the yogic tradition & a variety of Qigong joint purging, cleansing & opening practices
- Students will understand the importance of this as introductory work & the potential dangers of omitting it & jumping straight into Asana practice
- Students will have an understanding of various styles of contemporary yoga asana with a Daoist twist
- Students will experience two hours in depth Asana Practice daily in a vinyasa flow framework with ample individual help & support
- Students will be able to safely & effectively guide asana practice
- Students will learn the art of observation, clear verbal & safe hands on assists & adjustments in Asana Practices.
- Students will learn the art of postural analysis ,be aware of common misalignments & how to safely correct them
- Students will be able to accurately Teach approximately 108 Yoga postures & their variations & modifications using clear verbal instructions & vinyasa krama (step by step progression)
- Students will be familiar with & able to Teach various different Sun & moon Salutation sequences & integrate them into a vinyasa flow format
- Students will become familiar with how to activate the spirallic dynamic to enhance postures
- Students will be able to effectively sequence postures & be able to Teach led Evolutionary Hatha Vinyasa Yoga classes
- Students will have a sound knowledge of benefits of & contraindications of all of the practices learned.
- Students will gain sufficient knowledge, pronunciation & understanding of sanskrit to confidently use Sanskit names of all the Asanas , Yogic terms & pranayamas & to be able to eloquently quote certain selected Sutras . They will also be able to translate the aforementioned into English
- Students will be able to lead with correct pitch & pronunciation selected simple chants in Sanskrit, Pali & Mandarin.
- Students will learn the art of breath assessment
- Students will have a robust understanding and working knowledge of the implications, benefits, applications & effects of different types of Pranayamas & be able to explain & effectively teach basic pranayama practices
- Students will have an in depth understanding of & practical experience in bandha anatomy, benefits & techniques from both the Yogic & Taoist traditions.
- Students will be able to introduce, demonstrate & teach bandhas to safely enhance asana & pranayama practices
- Students will understand how to both sit and stand in ways that compliment & facilitate a meditation practice.
- Students will have an understanding of what meditation is & how it works & will have times devoted to asking questions about the practice & regular group process looking at what has arisen during practice.
- They will experience daily practice of both guided Mindfulness meditation &silent meditation during the course.
- Students will gain a simple yet thorough understanding of human anatomy including the names & locations of major muscle groups. They will learn about Myofascia & anatomy trains & how to safely influence & impact them with balanced asana practice
- Students will learn the names, structures, functions & types of joints in the body.
- Students will have a sound understanding of bone makeup & the human skeletal structure & how individual differences can vary alignment applications
- Students will gain an understanding of how to apply muscle and joint functions in asanas for a healthy and balanced yoga practice
- Students will learn basic Organ anatomy from the perspective of the Chinese 5 element theory & how Yogic practices can influence them.
- Students will understand benefits & contraindications of practices taught from an anatomical perspective with the purpose of injury prevention
- Students will largely learn through hands on experience thus preparing them to lead classes that are safe & structurally sound & give them an intuitive understanding as to how to sequence classes
- Students will have sound knowledge of the Central nervous system with special emphasis being placed on the Autonomic Nervous System & its implications in various yoga practices & how it can be regulated to help manage mental health & balance emotions.
- Students will have a basic understanding of the systems of the body including the respiratory , circulatory, digestive , lymphatic & endocrine systems & how these may be influenced & impacted by various Yoga practices
YOGA - TECHNIQUE, TEACHING, PRACTICE:
- Students will gain a fundamental understanding of the function and physical mechanics of the body in relationto hatha yoga
- Students will gain a strong awareness of how to connect the breath with movement and find a harmonious balanced flow throughout asana practice
- Students will develop physical intuitiveness in asana and pranayama so that they will be able to identify & respect their edge.
- Students will develop a Comprehensive understanding of performing anatomically safe and conscious hands onadjustments to yoga students in a wide range of beginners& intermediate yoga postures
- Students will develop a keen awareness of how to read different body types so as to prevent injuries and/or modify or advance certain postures, based on individual needs
- Students will be knowledgeable about both the roots & contemporary history of Hatha Yoga
- They will understand the development of different paths & practices of the yoga tradition from its ancient roots to its contemporary expression
- Students will gain a background understanding of our rich Shamanic heritage & how contemporary shamanism can be effectively married with traditional Yoga practices.
- During the course Students will benefit from potent shamanic practices integrated into the yoga practice to assist their own healing journey.
- There will be opportunities for further study in this area.
- students will gain an understanding of Eastern & Western Models of the self & the mind & how yoga practices can influence them
- Students will understand how the Nervous System effects the mind & how to balance it through yoga practice
- A comprehensive introduction to the philosophy of Yoga is given through lectures, practice, writing, reading and group discussion
- Students will have a sound understanding of the Vedic Philosophy of Yoga from studying classical spiritual texts particularly the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- Students will understand similarities & differences between different paths of yoga
LIFESTYLE & TEACHING ETHICS
- Students will gain knowledge of Yama Niyama, the attitudes & orientations of Yoga & how to apply them on & off the Mat to bring about personal transformation & evolution
- Students will clearly understand the Ethics of conduct of a Yoga Teacher from the Therapeutic Perspective
- Students will have their birth chart drawn at the start of the course. They will each have an individual reading via Skype by Evolutionary Astrologer Peter Askew at some point during the course
- Students will learn the basics of astrology & its implications for their personal evolutionary practices.
- There will be opportunity for further study in this area
RESTORATIVE YOGA, YOGA NIDRA, YIN YOGA, GONG BATH
- Students will experience Restorative Yoga daily during the training Modules primarily to enhance the training experience & as a form of power nap to balance the intensity of the course. They will also understand the background & basic techniques implemented.
- Students will experience regular yoga Nidra sessions to consolidate the teachings (we will for example use anatomical terms for various rotations of awareness) & as a potent formula for restoration. They will learn the basics of its methodology & wide reaching applications as a taster for potential further study & training.
- Students will experience a short Yin Yoga Session daily & will learn the basics of its techniques (we have further training in this area established.)
- Students will experience a deeply healing & rejuvenating Paiste Planetary gong bath each evening for the duration of each module. They will learn the basics of sound healing so that they can confidently integrate sound scapes into their classes. There will be an opportunity for further study in yoga & sound healing
CHAKRAS & DANTIANS
- Students will learn about the energetic structure of the human body & its potent energy centres from both the Yogic & Taoist perspectives.
- Students will be able to correlate physical & energetic sensations during practice to the framework of the Chakras & Dantians
- Students will learn how various practices influence the energy centres & in what ways.
NADIS & MERIDIANS
- Students will gain an understanding & practical application in practice of the main energy channels of the body form the Yogic & Taoist perspectives.
- Students will learn how to work with Meridians to enhance the health & performance of the bodily organs.
- Students will learn how to enhance & purify the energetic flow within the major central energetic pathways
VAYUS & Qi
- Students will learn about the internal & external types & movements of energy from the Yogic & Taoist perspectives
TEACHING YOGA & METHODOLOGY
- Students will gain Fundamental knowledge of how to teach and sequence hatha vinyasa yoga classes for beginner to intermediate level
- They will have the Ability to adapt & teach vinyasa yoga classes to both individuals and groups
- They will have the Ability to recognise bodily variations in make up with the purpose of modifying or advancing certainpostures based on the need of the practitioner.
- They will have the ability to safely perform hands on assists &adjustments
- they will have learned how to use clear verbal instructions and anatomical teaching points
- Advice on what makes a good Yoga teacher & how to sequence a good class and how to teach intelligently and safely.
BUSINESS OF TEACHING YOGA
- Lecture & question time is devoted to help students embark on a career teaching Yoga. Students will be taught basic skills in business, accounting & marketing management pertaining to advertising & running yoga classes & retreats. Further mentorship is available.
- They will understand issues around insurance & understand how the yoga Alliance membership benefits them
- Extra Private one-on-one consultations are offered for an additional fee throughout the course, to provide additional help to individuals with their practice and sequencing.
1.3 STRUCTURAL BREAKDOWN
Over the 16 months of the course we will help you to deepen your knowledge of the science of yoga – anatomy, physiology, teaching techniques, and philosophy – as we teach you how to use your artistic creativity in class planning and sequencing. Learn to teach asana, pranayama and meditation in your own individual way, from the heart, with awareness, compassion, sensitivity and clarity.
The modules of the course cover the following areas in manageable portions designed to develop your knowledge and teaching skills progressively and systematically:
Total Hours: 300
Minimum Contact Hours: 270
The SYT’s are Teaching a minimum of : 84. 6 % of the Course
- Course Manuals covering the Key areas of the syllabus
- A Necessary Reading List & optional Reading List will be provided upon booking onto the course & students are expected to purchase these books themselves. ***** Some of these books may be available at a discounted price at the Yoga Alliance store as part of your membership benefits
To be accepted on the course Students need to have been practicing Yoga regularly for at least 2 years. The candidates applying for a place on this training must have previously been on retreat here with us at Yoga Evolution or have an informal Skype chat with one of the SYT,s in order to be considered. Suitability will be decided by the SYT’s. As this is a foundation course students will not be required to have in depth knowledge or understanding of any of the key areas beyond basic asana practice. However they must demonstrate keen enthusiasm for & commitment to furthering their knowledge & understanding as well as their practice of key aspects of yoga. They must also commit to reading some of the key texts which will be specified in order to have some background understanding before the training commences. They must also commit to regularly practicing certain joint freeing, breathing & warm up sequences before the start of the course (on booking onto the course they will be sent a link to videos of the relevant practices).
1.6 EVALUATION PROCEDURE & GRADING CRITERIA
In order to graduate from the course and to receive your Evolutionary yoga Teacher Training Diploma, you will need to have:
- Teaching Practice - Throughout the training students will be observed during Teaching Practices. Teaching Practices will be frequent Micro Classes of 10 - 30 minutes duration based on asana, pranayama, meditation and flows which the students will teach to small groups of their peers. They will eventually build up until they can confidently teach full 75 minute classes.
- Class Planning, Themes & Sequencing - In between modules the students will develop at least 6 yoga sequences as part of their homework & continuous assessment.
- Yoga Class Assessment - During the final module the Students will develop a 1.5 hour class based on what they have learned during the training & teach it to all of their Peers. They will be asked to hand in a detailed class plan for evaluation, the whole of the class will be observed & they will receive detailed written feedback for this.
- Presentation - The students will prepare & deliver a 10 minute presentation relating to their chosen topic from one of the Key learning areas.
- Public Yoga Class Attendance - The students must attend weekly public Yoga classes for the duration of the course preferably with a YA SYT as part of their self development *** if they live somewhere this is not possible we can make alternate arrangements.
- Maintained a regular yoga practice- by developing your own daily self practice
- Skype / WhatsApp Check ins - In between modules the students will be required to have regular informal Skype chats with one of the SYTs to resolve any problems, ask advice , ask questions etc
- Journaling - The students are required to keep a daily 5 minute journal detailing their self practice & any thoughts that arise for the duration of the course.
- Class Observations - During the course students are required to observe at least 6 yoga classes and report in writing on their observations
- Essays - The students will be asked to submit an essay based on the comparative histories & Philosophies of Yoga & Daoist Shamanism
- Homework - For the duration of the course students will need to complete monthly written homework based on various key areas of the course. They will need to have achieved a pass mark for each piece.
- Course Fees -To graduate all course fees must be paid in full.
- First aid Certification - To Graduate Students need to Complete an approved first aid course in their country of residence
- Teaching - Students must have taught at least 12 hour long classes to friends/ family between modules 2 & 3 & commented in writing on their performance
1.7 COURSE SCHEDULE
30 course days over 3 Modules
Current Course dates -
Sunday - Thursday October 2021
Sunday - Thursday May 2022
Sunday - Friday October 2022
Last Date of the course & Certification -
Deadlines for written homework will be set after each module -
In addition to our Training Modules, Trainees must attend at least one public Yoga class in any style per week for the duration of the course preferably with a Yoga Alliance Senior Teacher *** If they live somewhere that is inaccessible to classes we will make alternative arrangements with you.
Trainees need to fully attend & participate in all of the three modules. If for any reason they cannot attend or fully participate, the SYT will decide which parts of the training need to be completed at a later date. To complete any parts of the training the following options are available depending on what has been missed: attending a later session that is part of another training group, 1-2-1 tuition, additional homework (additional charges may apply)
This Training course is accredited by Yoga Alliance Professionals & has meets the stringent requirements set by YAP. Our graduates are trained to the highest standard & are eligible to register with YAP & to use their accreditation as a sign of quality training.